11.29.2009

DIY Journal & Mod Home Ec Teacher


I have been following Curbly for fun crafting ideas for some time. Often the posts are on needlepoint, puff paint and grandma craft variety so I quickly breeze through looking specifically for the poster: Mod Home Ec Teacher. Her real name is Shelly Miller Leer and she has, in my opinion, a dream story. She went to school for design and textiles yet landed a career in the legal field. She found her way back to her first love and founded an upholstery business and was teaching courses at the Indianapolis Art Center in different forms of DIY craft and upholstery. She has created a DIY weekly column for the Indianapolis Star newspaper and writes regularly for Apartment Therapy Chicago. This is my dream story, mostly because I, too, wanted to do something related to the arts, career wise but found myself in a completely different field of work that's limited my creativity to after 5pm and on weekends.. Enough about me, let's hear it for Shelly and all her amazingness. Here's some links to her wares:
http://www.curbly.com/

1 comment:

modhomeecroom said...

Wow! I was so shocked to think that anyone would consider that I have a dream job. I do love what I do and have always gravitated back to making and creating. However, there have been times when I've thought I should just stop and go back 9 to 5. I just can't. I wish you could take one of my upholstery classes here at my studio, we have so much fun. That's when I know I'm in the right place. Look forward to following your blog. Thanks for reading Curbly. Seriously, if you want to construct a creative career doing what you love, you absolutely can build it with all of the free technology at your fingertips.