5.17.2010

Building Mom's headboard


Like every project, this one took much longer than anticipated, cost more than expected and was somewhat of a pain. But, like every project, we conquered it!!! My Mom has wanted a headboard for years. I built one several years ago that does the trick and so my Mom hired me on to assist her with building one for her abode. Here is a step by step of the headboard:


The room is small. We had to be very careful with our measuring. Here's to give you an idea. Also, this is before we painted the wall a light grey.

Here we're cutting the crown molding for the edges of the headboard. This was probably one of the more stressful parts as it's incredibly difficult to get a perfect cut to make the corners connect.


We had the peg board cut to fit the space. My Mom's friend suggested picture hangers to affix it to the wall. It was a marvelous idea and now I am thinking of changing my own headboard around to copy this. 


Here I am stapling the quilting over the back of the board. We also put 1" foam on the exposed side and glued it and for some reason didn't take a photo.


Here we're pulling the fabric covered buttons through the headboard to give a tufted look.


It was very difficult to get a uniform appearance so we just resorted to this. It sufficed.


My Mom painted the molding a darker shade of grey as the white looked a little too "country" 
and much too bright.



This shows how difficult it is to measure the corners correctly. 


Viola'

2 comments:

IsamarDesigns said...

Awesome idea!

modhomeecroom said...

Nice! Really a great design. Thanks for posting.
ModHomeEcTeacher
shelly leer